Keeping Your Critical Gear Dry

Feedback for the article published June 4, 2005.

Keeping Your Critical Gear Dry

Postby grannyhiker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:00 am

A couple of items re your excellent article:

In the spring of 2008, I bought a Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack and subjected it to the same test you used in 2006. In a 20-minute test (turning the bag inside out and filling it with water, then letting it sit in the bathtub) there was no leakage whatsoever, either through either the seams or the pores of the fabric. It would appear that Sea-to-Summit has solved its leakage problems. I promptly bought two more bags, one for my sleeping bag and one for extra clothing. I tested each bag before use; there was no leakage. I plan to test them each year, just to be sure. You might want to consider a new test to update your article.

The other item is a problem with trash compactor bags. I have found that a couple of manufacturers (Walmart is one) are adding perfume to these bags. In addition to being a rather sickening (IMHO) odor, I wouldn't like to use these bags in bear country!
grannyhiker

Ultra-Sil Dry Sack

Postby Jim Wood » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:03 pm

Good to hear about the improvements in the Ultra-Sil Dry Sacks. Perhaps someone at Sea-to-Summit read the article :D. I'll have to test one again soon.

I also agree with your observations about scented compactor bags. I can't tolerate perfumes in anything I carry or wear, especially (as you point out) in bear country. That even includes scents in laundry detergents I use to wash my hiking clothes.

Thanks for your comments...

Jim Wood
Site Admin

Seatosummit event bags

Postby glote » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:08 am

Inspired by your test I've tested the event bags (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/1). Mine's a lightly used size medium.
I filled it little over half with water, let out most of the air and then sealed and compressed it...
I immediately got a small leak along the seam in the bottom, close to the black-yellow border. After 10 minutes I also noticed a small leak in the roller lock, otherwise the grey event fabric seems to be watertight.

I suppose it's good enough if kept in a backpack under a pack raincover as long as I don't go svimming... Not that I ever intend to go svimming with a backpack :-)
glote

Return to Keeping Your Critical Gear Dry