Trouble getting a rolling boil

Feedback from November, 2008 forward. Includes all comments related to the new (and much expanded) version of the Super Cat stove and accessories article.

Trouble getting a rolling boil

Postby Ethan S. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Stove: Traditional fancy feast
Hole Configuration: 2 rows of 15 holes, 1/4" dia.
Fuel: Kleen Strip Green Denatured Alcohol, 1 oz.
Pot: Primus 1.0L Litech aluminum trek kettle w/ lid, 5" dia. 2 cups water.
Windscreen: DIY heavy duty aluminum foil

It seems that no matter how much fuel I use the stove always burns out just before the water starts to boil. Initially, I thought it was the diameter and material of my pot. So, I made a pot out of a Fosters 25 oz. beer can to see if I could get a 4 min boil as you did, but I had the same problem. No boil and the fuel burned out in just under 5 min. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-Thanks
Ethan S.
Ethan S.

Rolling boil

Postby flyer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi

I just made a Super Cat stove, after messing with soda can stoves it turned out to be a great success. Love it.

I used the recommended 3oz tin, a pate tin, with the standard double row of holes. The only difference being that, I left the holes at only one eighth of an inch instead of the normal quarter inch.

I intended to enlarge the holes after using 1/8 holes as pilots, but decided to try it first. It took about 6 minutes to boil half a litre of water and then continued with a rolling boil for a further 14 minutes, a total of 20 mins, not including priming.

I didn't see how I could improve upon this and so left the holes at 1/8 and there's still room for a little more fuel. I just feel it gives the stove more versatility to wait an extra minute or two for the boil and have a longer cooking time: but that's personal preference.

Hope this helps? It's a very simple, reliable and robust stove.
flyer

Return to The Super Cat Alcohol Stove (NEW)