stove fabrication

Comments pertaining to the original Super Cat alcohol stove and stand articles. Includes feedback from January, 2005 through October, 2008. This forum is now closed to new posts but remains available for reading.

stove fabrication

Postby mboardman » Thu May 26, 2005 12:06 am

This stove works just great, and I consistently get 2-cup boil times right at 4.0 min. For making it, I found it much easier to buy a standard single hole punch (97cent from Staples) to make the holes. Clean and quick. Also, more holes = more heat. I made one with two rows of 16 holes each, and it's plenty strong enough to support a 1 lt full pot. Excellent performance.

Found that a 5oz dog food can (also aluminium) turned upside down makes a great base, and you can prime the stove with a few drops of alke to get the stove boiling in around 6 seconds; the ridges on the bottom of the can hold the alcohol and spread it out. Speeds up the whole process.
mboardman

Thanks for your input

Postby Jim Wood » Thu May 26, 2005 9:21 pm

Great feedback. At some point soon, I plan to do an update article about the stove to include some of the ideas that have been offered by others. I recently bought a Whitney punch from Harbor Freight which also does a good job making clean holes, but I like the simplicy of the paper punch even more.

Thanks again,
Jim.

Jim Wood
Site Admin

Alke

Postby Corsican » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:57 pm

Forgive my ignorance but what is alke?
Corsican

Alke

Postby Jim Wood » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:09 pm

"Alke" is short for alcohol...
Jim Wood
Site Admin

Return to The Super Cat Alcohol Stove (OLD)