Supercat stove and stand

Comments pertaining to the original Super Cat alcohol stove and stand articles. Includes feedback from January, 2005 through October, 2008. This forum is now closed to new posts but remains available for reading.

Supercat stove and stand

Postby Wynn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:00 am

I made several soda can stoves and wind screens and have not been very happy with the results. My coke can stove take time to prime before use, and if the groud is wet are much harder to get full output. I made a stand but it's much more work to get it right. They look nice though.

My first supercat stove took just a few minutes to make and works great. I made my holes too close to the base and that liimiits the burn time. A second stove was perfect, and when you need a stove to work right away is when super cat shines. Add fuel light, count to 15 and go. You are in business. The triangular stand I made from recycled redwood with a aluminum foil covering is perfect. Looks good too. This stove is my stove of choice.

In a few weeks I'm planning on having my whole scouting White Stag Leadership Development Staff try to make a Jim Wood Super Cat and cook a snack with it. It's that good.

So long MSR. Good by Optimus 99. See ya Grasshopper.
Wynn

Modification to SuperCat stove| Vertical Vent Slot

Postby Wynn » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:38 pm

I found that adding four equal spaced vertical air slots through the top rim down to the lowest hole helps to reduce the tendancy of the stove to go out when cold. It also seems to reduce the flare up if you should remove the stove while it is still burning (not recommended).

The slot only needs to be as wide as your holes and cut straigh down seems to work just fine.

Why does this work? I think when the stove is just starting, the flame is on the instide of the can. When you place a pot on the stove the flame needs to jump through the can walls to the outside. Sometimes if the alcohol is not boiling enough, the flame goes out. The slot eases the process by providing vertical path of least resistance.

If you remove a pot while th estove is in operation, you create a void where you have alcohol vapor, and no flame. When the flame ignites the available alcohol vapor is when you have a flare up. I think the slot provides this vertical path to allow the flame to easily ignite the alcohol vapor before the pot is very far from the stove. This reduces the flareup.

This has been my observation, and seem to work well on two of my SuperCat stoves.
Wynn

Return to The Super Cat Alcohol Stove (OLD)