RECOVERING UNBURNED FUEL

Comments pertaining to the original Super Cat alcohol stove and stand articles. Includes feedback from January, 2005 through October, 2008. This forum is now closed to new posts but remains available for reading.

RECOVERING UNBURNED FUEL

Postby ekpriestley » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:41 am

Hello Jim,

I have been making Supercat stoves, mounted on a 5.5 oz catfood cans with sockets, and giving them to my hiking friends. I include a "snuffer can" with each stove. It is nothing more than an empty 5.5 oz cat food can that can be used to smother the stove.

One of the problems I and my friends have encountered is that there is no easy way to recover unused fuel from the burner cup. You've brought the water in your cooking pot to a boil and removed the pot from the stove. You've used the snuffer can to extinguish the flame. How do you now transfer the unused fuel back into your fuel bottle? It is impossible to pour the fuel from the burner cup directly into the fuel bottle because of all the holes in the side of the burner cup.

Here's the solution we've come up with: after extinguishing the flame with the snuffer cup, allow the remaining fuel to cool. Then dump it, in one swift motion, INTO THE SNUFFER CAN. It is then a simple process to pour the fuel from the snuffer can into the fuel bottle.

To facilitate this solution it helps to make a little pour spout in the rim of the snuffer can. I do this by crushing a notch in the inner ring of the suffer can. Then I use a pair of needle nose pliers to create a very shallow "V" in the rim.

I used my Supercat on several backpacking trips this summer including once on the West Rim of Zion NP in 30 mph winds. It worked great with shelter from my homemade windscreen and a small pile of rocks. It's a GREAT little stove. Thanks for sharing the design.

Ernie Priestley
Seattle
ekpriestley

Recovering fuel...

Postby Jim Wood » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:27 am

Ernie -

Thanks for your feedback. Turns out that I actually do the same thing to recover unburned fuel from the Super Cat. Of course, a large-ish funnel works well too, but it's one more thing to carry.

I do like your idea of creating a notch in the snuffer cup... something I hadn't thought of. I'd like to include the idea, if it's OK with you, in the update of the original article that I'm now just completing.

You may also be interested in a preview of a related article called "The Fire Bucket Stove System" that I'll likewise be publishing soon. The Fire Bucket is a new high performance wind screen for the Super Cat (and most other alcohol stoves) that can also serve as a stand-alone stove for burning wood and Esbit tablets. In its lightest implementations, it weighs only about 2 ounces.

You can find the Fire Bucket preview here.

Thanks again,
Jim Wood.

Jim Wood
Site Admin

fuel recovery alcohol stoves

Postby debbi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:02 am

Hi,,

I know it would be one more thing to carry but how about an eyedropper?
There would much less lost than transferring between cans,, my 2 centablos,,

Debbi
debbi

Eye Dropper...

Postby Jim Wood » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:09 pm

Funny you should mention an eye dropper. I just wrote about the same thing in the update to the original Super Cat article that I'm now just finishing.

REI sells one made by Nalgene for only $0.30 and that weighs almost nothing. You can see it here.

Jim Wood.

Jim Wood
Site Admin

Return to The Super Cat Alcohol Stove (OLD)