Wind screens

Comments pertaining to the original Super Cat alcohol stove and stand articles. Includes feedback from January, 2005 through October, 2008. This forum is now closed to new posts but remains available for reading.

Wind screens

Postby Big Red » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:11 pm

I've read your site a few times, and just got done building my first Super Cat and am wondering, will it bring the water to a boil in a light breezy weather without a wind screen, my Pepsi stove doesn't.
Big Red

Super Cat wind performance

Postby Jim Wood » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:40 am

Big Red -

Wind is almost certainly the #1 enemy of stove efficiency, irrespective of fuel type or stove design. Alcohol stoves are particularly sensitive to wind mostly because of the low flame velocity. The Super Cat's wind performance is about the same as other alcohol stoves, which means that a good windscreen is really important if there's even a slight breeze.

A Super Cat update article (coming soon) includes plans for a windscreen that's optimized for this stove.

Jim.
Jim Wood
Site Admin

making up a foil windscreen structure

Postby Debbi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:31 am

Hi again,,

This comment doesn't seem to fit anywhere else but I figure it will be read and disseminated anyways.

Often I would like to solidly attach two pieces of foil together temporarily to make a windscreen for my stoves. I use a circular piece under the stove and partially wrap a cylinder of foil that stands erect as the windscreen.

To utilize maximum flame this screen is best close to the cook pot but that presents the problem of setup.

I bought scads of blinky lights that attach to wind art lofted by my kites at night. Each light has a circular magnet, about 3/8" by a 1/16 or so. I sewed up tiny 'socks' out of bright orange ripstop, slipped a magnet in each then sealed the disc with another row of stiches.

This packaging allows me to manipulate, and find, these tiny parts easily. The socks are slightly wider than the magnets and about an inch or so long. Alternatively the magnets could be epoxied or glued to fabric, narrow webbing might be ideal for that. If you glue something thick like that on one side make sure you match magnetic poles so you have North-South pairs.

The windscreen is modified so at the base there are tabs that fold outward from the stove horizontally. I take a pair of magnets, apply one to the tab and one underneath the wider foil base and wha-la (lol) I have a surprisingly strong joint that breaks down and stores easily.

Make sure you squeeze the parts together to smooth out the wrinkles, the magnets need proximity to have best force.

The magnets are stored the same way they are used. I simply attach them to the periphery of my stove. There is no fear of stray fields affecting other devices. check it out with a field compass, there has to be really close proximity to even deflect the needle.

A nice thing about this windscreen is that ventilation can be adjustably provided by bending the tabs short of where they meet the windscreen, thus jacking the screen up that distance. I suspect the magnet clips might even find other uses,,, enoy,,,,

Debbi
Debbi

Windscreen

Postby Jim Wood » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Very interesting idea and a great way to temporarily join the ends of a windscreen.

Thanks,
Jim.

Jim Wood
Site Admin

Return to The Super Cat Alcohol Stove (OLD)