Super Cat fuels

Comments pertaining to the original Super Cat alcohol stove and stand articles. Includes feedback from January, 2005 through October, 2008. This forum is now closed to new posts but remains available for reading.

Super Cat fuels

Postby Alan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:35 pm

I made the Super Cat stove per instructions and with S-L-X Denatured Alcohol the results were super!
I then decided to try 151 proof EVERCLEAR.
This fuel did not perform well and never got close to boiling the 2 cups of water.
Will the 190 proof EVERCLEAR perform better or should I stick with the S-L-X?
Thanks for the super little stove Jim
Alan
Alan

Postby rusty » Tue May 16, 2006 3:44 pm

I just came in the house from a test with one ounce of 190 proof and got 2-cups of tap water to boil in 4.5 minutes. By the time the boil got going reasonably well though, the fuel had burned itself out.

I used a 3 oz cat food container and punched the holes with a paper punch using Zens template (15 holes top, 10 holes bottom). Wish I could figure out how to make the stove burn longer.
rusty

Postby rusty » Sun May 28, 2006 1:18 pm

Okay, just in from test number 2 with a new stove.

I used the same type can and same template. Except this time, I drilled the holes with a 3/16" dia drill bit. The holes in the previous stove, made with a paper punch, were just a hair under 1/4" dia.

Conditions were cooler but the same otherwise.

It took a bit longer for the stove to get warm....about 45-60 seconds compared to about 30 seconds before. I'd put the pan on and the flame would nearly go out.

At any rate, when the stove was heated, I got 2 cups to boil in approx (using wrist watch) 4.5-5 minutes. However, total burn time was up to 6.5 minutes.

Other than the price, the 190 proof seems like a reasonably effective fuel to me.
rusty

Super Cat fuels

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:50 am

Thanks for the update and posting your findings Rusty.
I think I will feel better with the less toxic Everclear then the SLX.
Alan
Alan

Return to The Super Cat Alcohol Stove (OLD)