New and Impressed

Feedback for the article published April 14, 2005.

New and Impressed

Postby Papa Bear » Tue May 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Just wanted to give a shout out to you Jim for this site. I am still learning to navigate some of the topics to find out the juicy nuggets that will increase my hiking/backpacking enjoyment, but so far so good.
I live in Colorado and now that the weather is getting nice I am hitting the trails with a renewed vigor but I have some questions. Please, anyone with an opinion should reply.

Most of my hikes are done with my wife and my toddler. He is 2 1/2 and weighs 30 lbs and I carry him 95% of the time in a special backpack for youngins. I weigh 215 lbs, the pack itself is about 3-4 lbs and my gear/clothing is another 5-8 lbs (depending on how many diapers and snacks the little guy needs). My superior math skills tells me that I am shunting damn near 260 lbs of weight everywhere we go. As you can tell, I get a solid work out and it is a lot of fun for everyone. I do have a question here:
What boots would be appropriate for these types of hikes considering that the hikes themselves are never more than 10 miles round trip but I feel like I have a heavy load requirement the entire time. We average 2 hikes a week but sometimes only 1. I have done a lot of research on the internet concerning the virtues of hiking boots and backpacking boots but so far can not come up with a conclusive answer. If anyone has ideas about what brand, model and type then I am all ears. Also, if you can give me some advice about how I can convince my wife into taking the child for a week while I hike about in the mountains on an extended trip then let me know what cha got.
God Bless and Semper Fidelis,

Benjamin "Papa Bear" Taylor
Papa Bear

Return to Backpacking and Weight Loss