Kite Windscreen

Major update July 22, 2008 (originally published April 30, 2005).

Kite Windscreen

Postby jasonklass » Tue May 03, 2005 8:48 am

Jim-
From what I've heard, this is a new take on an old idea but no one else is doing anything like this right now (everyone else is thinking metal close to the pot). I think it's a ripe idea and open to experimentation. I'm going to make one and field test it soon. I like the fact that it can be erected w/ found materials (like sticks) and can be manipulated to meet different wind conditions. I like your multi-use ideas w/ the patches, signatures, ect. Also, I have thought of some other uses to make it a multi-use item:

1. fly rod bag: wrap your fly rod in the kite windscreen and fold down the ends. Tie down the ends w/ parachute cord to hold them closed and strap it to the outside of your pack.

2. emergency splinter

3. scarf/face protector in high winds on the trail

If anyone thinks of more, please post!
jasonklass

Windscreen

Postby BeaverTrapper » Tue May 17, 2005 11:12 pm

Sew a few extra pockets on it and use it as a 'tool roll' to hold small items like flashlights, firestrikers, leatherman tool, etc.

I think this fabric windscreen is a great idea! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing!

Anybody have any ideas about flame retardant fabrics? Might be a little heavier than tyvek, but maybe a little safer or could be used closer to a real fire.
BeaverTrapper

Fire-retardant fabrics

Postby Jim Wood » Thu May 19, 2005 12:21 pm

One possibility for a fire-resistant fabric is DuPont's Nomex (long used for applications like race car driving suits). It comes in a wide variety of weights, but the lightest I've seen is on the Warwick Mills site, where they apparently offer a version that weighs 1.5 oz per square yard (only slightly more than standard silnylon).

Another possibility is treating the fabric with boron, the substance sometimes used to fire-proof Christmas trees.

I'm currently researching both options...

Thanks,
Jim.

Jim Wood
Site Admin

Return to Build Your Own KiteScreen