silicone coating suggestion

Feedback for the article published May 11, 2005.

silicone coating suggestion

Postby ve3sab » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:08 pm

Came across the site recently while doing a google search on another topic and thought I'd offer a suggestion regarding which silicone to use that might be of help. Over the years I have often had to weatherproof electronic circuit boards of projects I have made for outdoor use. Among the best to use was a silicone coating.

Regular silicone caulking contains acetic acid which is not good for electronic components plus it smells terrible until cured. What is the best to use is a type know as "RTV" silicone. It is an alcohol based formula as opposed to the acetic acid type and was designed specifically for use with/on electronics. It has virtually no odour. As to thinning it out, I thin with automotive lacquer thinner until the desired consistency is reached and then dipped the boards in it. Drying time ranged from about 10 to 30 minutes depending on the thickness of the coating.

I don't know how well it would thin out using mineral spirits but it may work. I also don't know if the lacquer thinner version would penetrate the silnylon or not. But someone may want to test it to see. As to brushing it on, there should be no difference
ve3sab

RTV silicone

Postby Jim Wood » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:02 am

Excellent suggestion. I googled "RTV silicone" for more info and there's plenty... Will experiment with RTV when I have a bit of time.

Thanks again.

Jim Wood
Site Admin

rtv update

Postby ve3sab » Wed May 06, 2009 7:08 pm

The type I use is Dow Corning RTV 3140. It is available in several sizes but I have found the 3 ounce tube to be the handiest. Infact I keep a tube in a small repair kit I made up as it is useful for many things.

Right out of the tube it can be used to seal or patch small holes in tent sides or floors. A small drop at the end of a tear in a tent can prevent it from spreading until a proper repair can be made.

It can also be used as a glue on some materials when straps, etc. break while on the trail. It can also be used to repair utensil handles etc .

Thinned out it can be used as a seam sealer or as a waterproof coating for stuff sacks and packs.

I have also used it as a coating on the polyurethane floor of a small 10 year old tent I have which was starting to flake off.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it doesn't give off acetic acid as it cures which could damage some fabrics.

For specific information here is a link to Dow Corning's page about it which has a downloadable material safety data sheet on it also:

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/ ... DCCSF=21EN

ve3sab

RTV silicone...

Postby Jim Wood » Thu May 07, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks for the additional info and the link. In part because I'm now experimenting with new shelter fabrics, I'm anxious to give it a try...

Jim.

Jim Wood
Site Admin

Return to A Treatment for Silnylon Floors