fire bucket design

Feedback about a new system that's both a high-performance windscreen for alcohol stoves and an efficient, stand-alone stove for burning wood and solid-fuel tablets. In its lightest implementations, it weighs only about two ounces.

fire bucket design

Postby smokechecktim » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:56 pm

I use the GSI minimalist for most of my backpacking needs. Using your firebucket idea, I use an empty 1quart paint can with both ends removed with a regular can opener. the firebucket notch is cut in per your design. I nest the super cat stove(simmer model) inside the the minimalist cup and the cup and its insulator nest inside the paint can. THe cans are durable steel and like using aluminium you have to do a few burn offs to get rid of any paint that you couldnt remove with alcohol. the bucket protects the cup and the cup protects the super cat.
smokechecktim

Postby Jim Wood » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:48 pm

Smokechecktim -

Interesting approach... Thanks for your idea.

Best regards,
Jim Wood.

Jim Wood
Site Admin

re

Postby groanwow » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:41 am

woooo...interesting.....
but still i m confused....i suppose i will have to read it a thousand times :shock:
groanwow

Re: fire bucket design

Postby jw934 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:24 pm

The article on The Fire Bucket Stove System is top notch. (and bottom notch too!). After struggling with wind blowing around and under the wind screen I went back to use the entire large coffee tin can for wind control, stability and convenience of set up. The extra space can be used to keep my food and fuel. Here is a video of the Winter Cooking on The Great Canadian Enclosed Flame Wood Pellet Campstove. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GvXI67gdmk I am planning to go snowshoeing and camping in Algonquin Park in February and taking that with me.
jw934

Re: fire bucket design

Postby kayak4water » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 am

I made a Firebucket. I haven't used it in the field because my triple fold foil windscreen did the trick on a stormy night under my tarp.
For my bucket,
1. I left out the bolts and wingnuts (which I'd surely lose) in favor of a fold on each edge of the joint, that work like the caldera cone's joint.
2. I used an inverted empty 5.5 oz aluminum cat food can as the platform for my super cat stove. I can easily light my Supercat without the Firebucket getting in the way. I use another 5.5 oz can as a snuffer.
3. I cut the flashing so my saucepan would sit on the supercat on a 5.5 oz can. The flashing tube's diameter was just small enough to support the saucepan (with 3 cups of water) without the supercat underneath I could use a penny stove on the ground below the stove.
4. The Firebucket weight: 51 grams = 1 3/4 oz
Pictures: http://goldilocksprepares.blogspot.com/2017/09/ultralight-stove.html
Jeff
Trying to be more humble than the next guy.
kayak4water

Return to The Fire Bucket Stove System