Super Cat Update November 2008

Feedback from November, 2008 forward. Includes all comments related to the new (and much expanded) version of the Super Cat stove and accessories article.

Super Cat Update November 2008

Postby pdops » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:21 pm

First off thanks for developing this stove and for the great website. I notice on the recent update that your hole pattern has changed to have 15 holes on both rows. Any reason for the change?

I first experimented with alcohol stove a couple of years ago and built a couple of regular pepsi can and the photon variety. I remember seeing the cat can stove plans but didn't have any cans handy (no pets) so didn't try any. Just finished building one and must say I'm impressed with the simple design and construction required.

Thanks again.
pdops

Re: Super Cat hole patterns

Postby Jim Wood » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks for the kind words about the stove and the website.

Regarding your question about the new hole pattern, I guess the answer is just that I wanted to simplify construction even more than that of the original and the new pattern was easier to describe.

A few additional holes also seem to make the stove burn a bit hotter, though as noted in the article, a variety of hole patterns also work fine.

Just got back from a chilly BP trip in the West VA highlands with temps in the low 20'sF. The basic Super Cat, built as described in the new article, performed like a champ. Because the water and air temps were both low, it took a bit over 1 fl oz of alcohol to boil two cups of water, but when using the Fire Bucket as a windscreen, got the job with no problems.

Thanks again,
Jim.

Jim Wood
Site Admin

Re: Super Cat hole patterns

Postby pdops » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:54 pm

Jim Wood wrote:Regarding your question about the new hole pattern, I guess the answer is just that I wanted to simplify construction even more than that of the original and the new pattern was easier to describe.

A few additional holes also seem to make the stove burn a bit hotter, though as noted in the article, a variety of hole patterns also work fine.

Thanks. I used the template from the Zen Stoves site http://zenstoves.net/Templates.htm#3ozAluminum which makes it easy to line up the holes. I added a simmer modification which covers/uncovers the lower row of holes to create a "simmer cat" as needed. I used a of ring of aluminum (from a pop can) which covers the lower row of holes but has matching holes. This ring can be rotated to uncover/cover the holes in the lower row.

I imagine the same thing could be done with the docking system described on your website.

Thanks again for the detailed instructions.
pdops

re:

Postby groanwow » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks for the great post...i really like cat alcohol stove...i had tried that several times but got no success...i think i m gonna try it once more... :D
groanwow

Return to The Super Cat Alcohol Stove (NEW)